A86: Re: OT: Transferring files.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: OT: Transferring files.

Back in the days when we all used DOS, there were programs like LapLink to
transfer files.  Now, a null modem cable is only going to give you 115k, but
that'll be two to three times as fast as your modem.

If you have Windows, the easiest way connect a couple of computers is to get
a coaxial cable and a couple of terminators and connect them using the
Windows 95 client for Microsoft Networks.  If your network card only has a
10baseT connector, then you'll have to have a hub and two cables, or a
pass-through cable, but it's usually easier to find a hub, and a hub will
let you connect more computers than two (LAN party!).

If you don't have a network card (I forget not everyone does...we found some
at a computer show for $10 and stocked up), Windows 98 has a direct cable
connection client that you can use with your null modem cable.  I think that
95 has one as well, but you'll have to poke around on the CD for it.