Re: A86: Re: TAZM...(***VITAL***)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: TAZM...(***VITAL***)

At 12:47 AM 6/1/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 05/31/99 11:25:35 PM, david@acz.org writes:
>
>>> For those of you who don't know what TAZM is, it is a "better" TASM 3.0.1
>>> with unlimited line labels, cleaner code, follows the order of operations,
>>> etc.  Oh, and it assembles faster than TASM :)
>>
>>Assembly Studio 86 already exists, and since the new version supports
>>plugins for the output file, it can be used with all Z80 calcs.  It's a
full
>>IDE: color-syntax coloring editor, assembler, sprite editor, etc.  It also
>>includes a help file for all of the z80 instructions, ports, etc.  If anyone
>>is interested in using it for a calc other than the 86, we'll write plugins
>>for them.  Sure beats compiling in DOS :)  I don't care if you are a DOS
>>fanatic (I am), but you'll switch in no time.
>
>In response about TAZM, version 3.1 of TASM already has the ability to do
>unlimited labels, which was one of your original purposes to change, but
then
>all these parentheses and brackets came in, and I feel thats too confusing
>and would just make me start making mistakes with values and addressing if I
>had to adapt to this new system. I would personally like to stick with TASM
>and writing code in assembly like I have learned to do from the start.

You are right that TASM v3.1 has unlimited line labels, however I have
heard that, under the right circumstances (talk to Kouri on A82), source
code will fail to compile entirely.  Kouri was writing a simple text editor
and it wouldn't compile under v3.1 16-bit but, for some odd reason, worked
under the 32-bit version as well as the more reliable v3.0.1.  I refuse to
trust my source code to a sporadic assembler.  True, my original purpose
was to enable me to have more line labels, but I have found that there is
much that can be improved on.  I understand your concern about IDEAL mode
and I have already thought about it...obviously, or I wouldn't have brought
the issue to all the lists.  I wanted to make sure that everyone had a
chance to speak their voice...including those on A86.

As to Assembly Studio 86, I've been interested for some time now in it, but
there is a huge problem...it's for Win95/98 *only* and all I have is a
reliable 486DX/2-66 w/ 8MB RAM w/ DOS and Win3x.  The upside is that I
will, in a few months, be using Linux as my primary OS (on a dual P3 450mHz
PC (Intel L440GX+ motherboard and Columbus III Server Chassis) with 384MB
DIMM/SDRAM and 18.0GB EIDE HD, etc., etc......for about $3000) and using VM
software I will be able to safely emulate WinNT 4 on my machine.  At that
point I'll be able to use Assembly Studio.

Apparently, A86 is quite happy with ASM Studio 86, so I won't bug this list
any more with TAZM.  Good day!

        Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@detroit.crosswinds.net
                   http://www.shininglightpro.com/

Follow-Ups: References: