Re: A86: Contest II (MUL/DIV)...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Contest II (MUL/DIV)...

At 10:45 AM 7/17/99 GMT, you wrote:

>>For example, he doesn't want $C3 instead of CALL hahaha :-)
>>Can you explain why? the Z80 won't notice any difference...
>
>Oooooops! The binary opcode for CALL is $CD, rather than $C3!
>I know you meant $CD! Yeah, the Z80 won't notice any difference as long as
>you use the correct binary opcode!

>> >does anybody understand what he's talking about with this?  "ld" IS an
>> >opcode...

I think replying to this message will answer everyone's questions :)

First off, a Mnemonic is a fancy word for (in this case) code that is
readily readable.  This means using commands like LD A,B or ADD HL,BC.
These have to yet be processed by an assembler like TASM (or even TAZM :)
Only when the OBJect file is created, will the Z80 CPU be able to process
the code.

An OPCODE is the use of code that is not readily readable and has to be
"disassembled."  An example of this is:

.DB $CD, $00, $00

Without prior knowledge as to having done a lot of work with opcodes, it
requires a lot of time to disassemble the code.  Even in this form, the Z80
CPU can't read this without being assembled by TASM (or TAZM).

I hope this clears this issue up.

           Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@crosswinds.net
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/