A86: Re: [OT] DJGPP

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: [OT] DJGPP

DJGPP is a GNU C compiler, so if you're not used to a Unix-like environment,
it'll take a little bit of getting used to.

Installing djgpp is fairly simple if you follow the directions.  If you got
it from www.delorie.com, you probably followed the ZIP-picker.  It will tell
you what files to download depending on what you want to use.  After you
download all the files, you have to unzip them with the full paths.  I'd
suggest installing to \djgpp off the root directory of whatever drive you'll
use for development.  It is VERY important that you unzip them properly into
the correct directories, or nothing will work.

Once you have them unzipped, read the readme file.  Then read it again.  It
is very important to follow every step in the install readme.  I recommend
printing it out so you can easily refer to it.  Now, it's been a while since
I've used DJGPP (I use Watcom for 32-bit DOS and DJGPP isn't useful for
Win32) so I'm probably missing some steps.

There is a config file that contains the paths to all of the files.  You
will have to change one of the variables to the drive/path where you
installed djgpp.  The next step is to set the environment variables for it,
and to put it's bin directory in your path variable.  If you start running
out of environment space (that happens with VC++ if you use VCVARS32 as
well) you can set a shortcut to run command with more environment space:
"COMMAND.COM /E:2048".  That should be plenty.  If you still run out, make
it bigger.

As for using the compiler, that's another story.  There are plenty of good
web pages on how to use djgpp, so type "djgpp" into a search engine like
Webcrawler (not to start a debate about portals, but last time I looked I
got useful pages with it, that's all) and see what it pulls up.  There's
probably also a #djgpp channel on IRC that you can find to get help,