Re: A86: NOT Question on tile maps :-)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: NOT Question on tile maps :-)

why do you need pixel-resolution smooth scrolling?
if you scroll in 4-pixel steps you can scroll a screen much faster using
rld and rrd and you can store 2 preshifted sprite images for everything
that has to move.  (well, sprites don't matter that much)

lookup shift tables?

-josh

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:15:37 +0100 Jimmy =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5rdell?=
<yarin@acc.umu.se> writes:

>At 17:32 1999-01-28 -0600, you wrote:
>>
>>Hmm, that might work.  You'd have to drop the lower 3 bits of the X
>coord.
>>On that line, I wonder if it would be much faster to draw sprites if
>they
>>were pre-shifted, then all drawn as 16 bit sprites.  You could do it
>when
>>the program starts and store them on ram page 1 or something, so they
>>wouldn't take up extra room in the program.
>
>IIRC, that was done in some games on only computers to speed things
>up...
>But I don't think it's worth it on ticalcs as you can make fast sprite
>routines anyway (with lookup shift tables for instance).
>
>>Yeah, you're right.  It's not about tilemaps =)
>
>I changed the topic :)
>
>//Jimmy Mårdell
>
>E-mail: yarin@acc.umu.se
>Homepage: http://www.acc.umu.se/~yarin/

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]