Re: A86: ASM Clear-Up

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ASM Clear-Up

In a message dated 1/22/99 5:53:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cflan@granitecity.com writes:

> If I use my on-calc hex converter and I convert 10 to hex I get Ah. I
> understand
>  that A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14 and F=15. The $ takes place of the h
right?
>  So Ah really equals $10 right. But if I convert 16 to hex I get 10h. How?
Do
> binary numbers come into play?  Some examples in a fair tutorial I read were
> that 59=3bh and thus equals $ff

No. H is like the $ sign. 10h=$10=16. Ah is the calc's way of saying that this
is the number "A" in hexadecimal. In compilers, you put a $ before it. On
compilers and calcs, decimal numbers have no special notation. So, if you were
to do this:

ld a,$10

You'd put sixteen into a. If you did this:

ld a,10

You'd put ten into a.
(Note that I used the word for the numbers, and not the digits. Sixteen is 16
is $10.)