Re: A86: Re: Radio Link problem solved

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Radio Link problem solved

i was thinking more of some sort of little box with a microcontroller and
a radio transciever.  yes, i want them to be able to talk to several
different calcs, but as far as the calc's concerned, it's talking to the
box one the other end of a link cable, so it doesn't care.  the
microcontroller would take care of sifting through transmissions and such
to determine what it's calc needed to know.  sharing frequencies
shouldn't be a problem, because the calc wouldn't know about it.  this
would be generally like a network card with radio interface.

i've got an electronics class and a networking class, so if i knew
anything about radio transcievers, i'd be in business...

-josh

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:59:40 -0800 "Justin Karneges"
<jgkarneges@ucdavis.edu> writes:

>Hmm..  not a bad idea.  This is more of a protocol issue, but I see
>why it's
>important.  Let's say you have 20 students at a high school who have
>this
>"radio link".  If they each have to hook up to different computers in
>the
>computer lab, then you'd need 20 computers.  Also, each radio link
>would
>have to be on it's own set of frequencies.  Sharing frequencies would
>trash
>other student's connections.
>
>What we need to implement (in software of course) is some sort of
>network
>protocol to manage up to a large number of students over one set of
>frequencies.  Like the IR link (and LAN's) each packet of data sent
>would
>have a packet header associated with it and so on.  And..  there would
>be
>only one computer with a radio link on it and it would manage all 20
>students.  All 20 students would then have 'net access through the
>same
>computer.  If they wanted to chat then they'd just use unix IRC.  The
>PC
>program that serves all 20 students would be able to do all sorts of
>nifty
>things like peer-to-peer calc connections, etc, though it may be
>easier to
>make a unix app to link the calculators (I already did this before and
>you
>could play Ztetris across the internet).
>
>Anyways, back to the Radio Link itself.  I think someone else should
>build
>this Radio Link to be sure that it really works and so we can see how
>hard
>it is to build from another person's perspective.  And also, possible
>improvements.
>
>-Justin Karneges [Infiniti]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]