A86: Re: Radio Link problem solved

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Radio Link problem solved

	The radio link is not that hard to build, I have a cheap version of it that
goes about three high school rooms away, I don't have exact schematic because
I am not exactly an electrical engineer.   How I did it is as follows

Needs:
	Standard TI-LINK Cable (comes with the calcs)
	2 battery packs (I use 9v)
	4 one-line two-way radio transcievers (I got mine at Radio Shack)
		two have to be on one frequency, two on another
Directions:
	Cut the TI-LINK cable in half, then split the cable a bit so you have access
to the red, white and ground cables.  Next attach (I soldered) one radio
transceiver to the red cable, and attach it's corresponding transciever (same
frequency) to the other half's red cable.    Do the same with the white cable
on both ends with the other transcievers.  Now ground the copper cable
(ground) to whatever box you use to enclose the thing or maybe even the metal
screw that holds the plastic box together.  Ground it to something metal
somewhere.  some radio transcievers requires a power outage.
	My transcievers needed 4 volts each so I used one 9v battery split between
them.  I do realize overpowering them will wear out the reciever, but it did
increase the range of coverage.  I also added a power switch for the battery
so I don't waste the link from burning up or running out of power.   Since
this link is wired to the cables independently it will function with every
standard calc program and even the os and system routines.   It even functions
with the microphone on my computer (though it is sort of faded and quiet
compared to normal).
	My radio transcievers came with multiple channels, so I got 4 of them and set
2 to one channel and two to another.   If you were to make multiple ones of
these you could configure them all to work on the same channel or every link
independent of each other, using different channels for each link.  Make sure
that both red connections are on the same channel and bothe white connections
are on a different channel than red, but the same for each other.  One way
radio transcievers (they're not really called transcievers if they are one
way) won't work for this.
That's all to mine, It's great for using just simple chat programs across your
calc to someone in another classroom at school.
-Tim Adkisson-