Re: A86: Re: TI-UX

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: TI-UX

While that would be really great, I don't see why it is a reason not
to do a TI-UX as well. While the full unix OS is surly too much for
the calculator to handle, there are certainly peices that we should be
able to implement quite nicely on the calc, and it should be a good
challenge to do so.

> The calculator is really not the best piece of hardware to be
running unix
> on.  Just use it as a telnet terminal instead.  Boot linux on your
PC and
> set it up a dialup server.  Get an external modem and term86 and log
into
> your home computer with it's 8 gigs (instead of 128k) while
processing at
> the speed of 400mhz (rather than 6mhz).
>
> The external modem/cell phone combo can be very costly and slightly
bulky
> depending on the modem used.  The USR's are huge!  Addonics has a
56k modem
> the size of a half-inch thick credit card but costs a pricy $150
(yes it is
> an EXTERNAL modem and not a card modem).
>
> Why doesn't someone make a radio link or TI-modem ?  Not only would
this
> task probably be much easier than making a unix OS, but it would be
much
> more worthwhile since accessing your computer also means possible
internet
> access.
>
> Someone made an IR link, so I'm sure there's more electronic buffs
out there
> to do this one.  I say we need two parts:
>
> 1) Box to connect to the TI linkport
> 2) Box to connect to a standard RS-232 serial port (com port) on a
computer.

> So you'd plug one of these pieces into the computer and the other
one into
> the calc.  They would simple bridge the connection.  If the program
on the
> calc sends a byte out the linkport, then the radio link will send
this to
> the link on the computer.
>
> By building a device like this, you can have the unix OS on your
calc by
> dialing into a unix dialup server (just run Linux at home and set it
up to
> do so).  This way, your calc-unix will be exactly like Linux because
it IS
> Linux.  It will also process extremely fast since it's processing
off of
> your host PC.  The internet part is a nice bonus also.  At school
you could
> connect the comport piece of the device set to a computer at your
school's
> library and then as long as you remain on campus (to be in range)
you'd have
> internet access also!  Chat with your friends in other classes or do
> research on a project without having to ask to go to the library =).
>
> *note*: when linking with a school computer, you'd have to run some
> server/client program (which i'd be totally willing to make if someone
> designed a radio link like this) that would contact your home PC to
give
> linux to your calc even if the school PC is windows.  so, yes, you
can get
> unix on your calc with a school computer as a host.
>
> Possible questions arise:
>
> 1) How big of a range would this device be able to work in?  If you
lived 2
> miles from school, would you be able to use your home PC to give you
unix at
> school or is that out of the question?
>
> 2) How fast could the device transfer data?  The 9600bps limit has
already
> been reached by the most recent TI terminal programs so the question
is how
> fast will the device go?
>
> 3) How much will it cost to make?
>

> Anyways, I think that it'd be much easier to make a radio link (and
by far
> more worthwhile because of internet access) than an entire unix on
the calc.
> You may complain about having to be in range, etc, which is the only
real
> argument for the calc-unix.  But I'd stay close to home if it meant
I could
> control FTP downloads to my home computer using a TI in a
restaurant. =)