A86: Re: new emulator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: new emulator

hmm... thanks for prompting me to look at my code again - after messing with
TI86Emu for a while, I managed to find the bit of code that's messing my
emulator up. It gets here straight after a keypress...
Around 0x6960, ROM page 0x0a, we see this chunk of code:

6957  IN A,($06)
6959  PUSH AF
695A  LD A,$80
695C  OUT ($06),A
695E  LD A,D
695F  LD ($8000),A
6952  POP AF

that's definitely writing to the ROM... (unless bit 7 of port 6 actually
does something... I was under the impression that this bit was ignored, ne?)
My emu crashes at 6960, just as it attempts the write.
I can see TI86Emu going through this bit of code as well, but it ignores the
write, as far as I can tell. Now, my question is: WTF is it doing writing to
the ROM ?!?!?!? That's just going to make my code a lot more complicated...
(I'm not checking whether the mem is writable or not, for speed reasons. I
suppose I could always patch the ROM? What do you guys think?)

> At what address in the ROM does it do this?  Some devices will
> use writes to
> ROM as hardware control registers, but the calc doesn't do this.
>
> > Should the ROM (program) be trying to write to the ROM (memory)
> during its
> > execution?

sayoonara!
--
 /*\-------------------------.   .----------------------------.
|    Liyang Hu aka DenseBoy   \ /   __pikachu ICQ # 39391385   \
|     http://www.nerv.cx/      |    <denseboy@41t4v¡5t4.n3t>    |
|  When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows",       |
|    people just stare at you blankly and say:                  |
|      "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".          |
 \*/ /*  get my public key at http://www.nerv.cx/liyang.asc  */
    /*   decode the l33t-speak in my address to email me!   */

Follow-Ups: References: