Re: A86: grphlink error

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: grphlink error

>If you didn't have a COM port on your PC, then you wouldn't be able to use
the
>internet.

Actually, that's not necessarily true. I can definitely take out the little
cable to the COM port and still use the internet fine. Since modems include
their own UART's most of the time (I think only external ones don't) having
a physical com port isn't an issue. Of course the BIOS has to recognized
COM1,2,3,4, but I don't think there's a such thing as a BIOS that doesn't.
This all notwithstanding, its a very odd configuration to not have a
physical COM port. What brand PC is this BiAS?

>Yes, I am sure.  I use a modem adapter to connect my link to "serial port
1"
>on the back of my hard drive.

I think you're terminology is mixed up a little bit. On the back of hard
drives, you'll only find a 40pin IDE port (or SCSI if it's a SCSI drive) and
a power port. I think you're trying to refer to your actual computer, the
"box", "tower", "machine", etc. :-)

-- Steve Horne