A86: More Reminisces

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: More Reminisces

I've been on this list since it was created, and I've been on the
assembly-85 list since february of 1996 (over two and a half years),
although at that time it was called list-zshell (there was only one shell
then, and it's still the shell I prefer)  I was around before there was a
ticalc.org, and the only web page was Magnus's Zshell Page.  This was only
four months after ZShell 4.0 was released, and that was when it hit my
school.  The only program Jimmy had released was Labby (you guys probably
have never seen it) and the coolest program was Andreas's XC-1701, also
his first program, I think.  Anyways, that's my perspective.
Now to the present...
I haven't programmed a calc for a year, due to my senior year and the
stealing of my 85 and 86 at the end of my senior year.  I've stayed on the
list, though, but have never had the time to do programs.

Your generation theory is not right, though.  Mine probably won't be
either, because the authoritative voice would be Dan Eble or David Boozer,
David Ellsworth or Magnus possibly.  Henrik Edlund too, I don't know.  Dan
Eble created zshell versions 1 to 3.1.  David Boozer had something to do
with that too.  David Ellsworth also hacked the 85 to run user assembly,
although after he figured it, he discovered zshell was being made.
Magnus, however awesome you think he is, did not come to the scene until
he did most of zshell 4.0.  Same with Rob Taylor.  (I'm not putting down
Magnus, he is still a great programmer and individual)  That would
comprise the "first generation" if you want to try to divide the plethora
of TI programmers into generations.

The "second generation" would be people like Andreas, Jimmy, Dines
Justesen, Sam Davies, and me (although I didn't do quite as much -
3dviewer, zterm)  Basically these were the people that took the 85 to its
potential through new types of games and interesting programs. The coolest
thing then (for me) was sound through the link port.

Anyways, after that, new calculators were coming into the scene, like the
92, 83, and 82, and later the 86, and people split apart.

Then, if you just consider the 86 scene (which was much easier to program
for, because there was already assembly information and TI support), then
your theories are pretty valid.

On the topic of the lack of great programmers, people today are
spoiled and out of ideas.  They are spoiled because there's already a lot
of help from TI and ticalc.org, and thus there is less desire to delve
further into the calculators.  They are out of ideas because a whole ton
of stuff has already been written for all different calcs.  Also, there
are a lot more programmers now then there were in the beginning.  It's
harder for people to make an image with such a great amount of people.

Anyways, sorry about this long ramble.  I hope someone benefited from it.

Later,
Alan Bailey
awbailey@uiuc.edu
http://www.iit.edu/~bailela/