Re: Reminisces (Used to be A86: calc crash)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reminisces (Used to be A86: calc crash)

yup, i remember you.  not dan, andreas, jimmy, or any of those other people.  i've been on this list for maybe 3/4 of a year.  maybe.  but i remember you posting a lot back then, but not anymore.  i think this is your first post in awhile.  but it was a good one.  i do agree, i have seen the decline in the "quality" of the posts.  this is like a social thing now.  sure, some of it has to do with 86's, but not what this list was meant to do.

it's a programming list.  people learn to program.  you ask a question, everyone trys to help you.  i think most of the questions asked here could be directed toward the Calc-TI list which is a general calculator discussion list.

At 08:46 PM 9/4/98, you wrote:

>At 03:20 AM 9/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, you have to press on 10 times with the AAA
>>> batteries out.
>>
>>Sorry, I accidentally started that 10 times thing a year or so back.
>>It's officially 10 SECONDS.
>>

>Actually, the way I remember it, I asked a question on one of the TI
>channels on Efnet the first night I got my 86 (a long-ass time ago),
>because I kept trying to put a game on my calc (Lunoid, if i recall
>correctly), and it kept crashing.  Anyway, I aksed about how to resset, cuz
>it wouldn't, and it finally spilled over to the A86 list.
>
>In addition, I want to add my two cents to the "lack of great programmers"
>thing people have been talking about.  I have been on this list (and the
>A85) a really long time.  It's actually kind of mind-boggling how much HD
>space my A86 mailbox takes up.  Anyway, when I fisrt got on the list,
>people like Dan Eble, Andreas Ess, Jimmy Mardell, Grant Stockley and a
>whole bunch of the other really legendary people used to talk on this list,
>a lot.  I used to too.  I used to be like #3 on the "most messages sent"
>thingie.  And it seems to me that most of these type of people stopped
>because of the off-topic thread thing.  Except for Jimmy Mardell, who had
>to go serve in the army, most just couldn't take this list anymore.  Mr.
>Eble contributes every once in awhile, but mostly not.  Grant moved on to
>do harware stuff.  I don't really know what happened to Andreas.  Then
>there was Kirk Meyer, who dropped off the list.  I count him among the
>second generation of great TI programmers.  Same with ScaBBy, Dux (possible
>first generation, I can't really remember, it's been a really long time),
>Matt Johnson, and Ahmed (who I still talk to sometimes on ICQ).  Most of
>them don't contribute much, or at all, anymore.  I never counted myslef
>among any of the lists of really good programmers, I only really released a
>cuppla things, and I was never really that interested, but i know that
>compared with how the list used to be, I think the state of affairs now is
>shameful.  I first started on assembly for this calc, and I aksed a few
>questions, and I would get like 6 really helpful responses.  Never got
>flames, never started any wars (except for possible the battery thing).
>I've seen about 6 Mac/PC, windows/unix, etc. wars and flame-wars since
>then.  I think turnover is a really good thing, but I bet less than 10% of
>the people who actively participate (not just signed on) knew what happened
>to Jimmy.  I mean, there used to be real community.  I don't know what
>exaclt to do about what I think is wrong with the list, or if really it
>needs to be changed, but maybe I want to start a "Reminisces" thread.
>actually, i think I will change the subject now.  Maybe this isn't the most
>topical thing in the world, but I want to hear what people have to say.
>
>Robby Gutmann
>gutmann@planet-connect.com
> [...]

{-kimo-}

Summers never live up to your expectations . . .
-kimo