A86: Re: Re: pokemon

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Re: pokemon

>You must remember that even though the 86 is similiar to a gameboy
>hardware-wise, it doens't have nearly the ammount of memory that a gameboy
>cartridge can have.  I don't know gameboy specs, but I'm sure a cartridge
>can hold at least 256k-1mb.

I am not sure, but I think that the Gameboy cartridges are 4 mb.  The
gameboy has a smaller screen that the 86, though.  But the Gameboy runs
faster and only uses one plane to do grayscale.  Thanks to Dux for the info
on the 1 plane for grayscale stuff =)

>This is why huge rpg's like the Final Fantasy
>series aren't really possible on the 86.

How about the Quest 3 RPG?? =)

>This is why 150 monsters on the
>96k 86 might be overkill.

maybe, but have external strings for data and maybe just a couple of bytes
of data for each monster.  That is about 40 bytes per pokemon.  That would
bring the data total to about 6000 bytes.  That's not that much.  Then a
library for all of the graphics would be about 11000 bytes because the
sprites would probably be about 16x16.  The game would probably be about 9k
or 10k.  Then a linking program so you can fight other people, about 1k (at
most).  It might then be a little under 96k =)  Plus you could use Bloat to
compress a bunch of the stuff =)
JBrett
tbarwick@esn.net
http://ww2.esn.net/~tbarwick