Re: A86: Super fast GridPutSprite

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 23:05 1998-11-01 -0600, you wrote:

>Out of curiosity, I decided to unroll the GridPutSprite routine, and the
>results are great.  Almost a two times speed increase.  The time goes from
>567 t-states down to 289.  The byte size increases from 28 to 44.  Not bad
>at all.  An added bonus is that you can now pass in the address to draw it
>to, making it great for greyscale or virtual screens (or both!).  Since it's
>twice the speed, you could draw to a two greyscale planes in the time it
>took to draw to a single screen!

Aligned sprite routines aren't very much fun to optimize since I don't
see how you could ever make such a routine too slow... even the slowest
routines I've seen is still much faster than most nonaligned
sprites routines; that is, more than 1000 sprites/sec (and the
fastest more than 10000 sprites/sec, I'm sure).

//Jimmy Mårdell

E-mail: yarin@acc.umu.se
Homepage: http://www.acc.umu.se/~yarin/