Re: A86: directories

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: directories

I don't really think it could be done easily.  You'd have to create a new
VAT/FAT table to account for directories, and the real VAT wouldn't reflect
the new one.  There could be multiple variables with the same name.  And
how would you catch calls to _findvar, you couldn't use old programs with
files in directories (assuming you chose to keep the root dir exactly same
as the VAT and mirror the VAT for every other subdir).  Plus, you'd have to
patch the programs menu, and all the shells would have to be rewritten.  I
like how ASE lets you group programs...kind of like directories.
Not to be discouraging, but groups like ASE or an archive program like
PKZIP that could turn multiple files into one (possibly compressed) would
be better suited to these needs.  I'd like to see these overcome...maybe
with the 89 where (I hope) can actually change patch the ROM.

At 08:58 PM 5/16/98 -0400, you wrote:

>If it's really possible to create new variable types, what do you folks
>think about creating a directory variable type, that can be accessed
>with a token called "cd".  "cd games", when typed to the home screen,
>would switch to the games directory.. The unused byte in the VAT can be
>used to place each variable in a directory.
>It would be pretty neat -- you could have directories that require root
>access, or directories that have disabled sqrt programs..
>Does that ring like worthy idea?

// David Phillips
// mailto:electrum@tfs.net
// AIM: electrum32