A86: ROM decompilation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: ROM decompilation

It seems like we know painfully little about the ROMs.  If we know how the
calculator treats stored data, we could easily figure out all the data
formats used on the calculator not to mention any customization features
yet undiscovered.  Is anyone out there working on a massive decompilation
effort?

A "smart" decompiler would help greatly in this effort.  One that starts
at absolute address 0x00000 and follows through the code through every
jump.  It would branch out until every ROM call that gets called is mapped
out and decompiled.  This would lay to rest any questions about which
sections of ROM are code and which are data.  We would know if there is
any way to run the "Willy Do Be Do.. " Easter Egg routine in the normal
operation of the calc.

Such a decompiler shouldn't be difficult to write at all starting from the
source code of one of the emulators out there.

Nathan Linger

Follow-Ups: References: