Re: A86: Re: Assembly Studio 86 available

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Matt2000 wrote:

> >The Watcom C/C++ also fully supports it.  IMHO, Watcom is much better
> for
> >programming than VC++.  Plus, it is also the best compiler for DOS
> (IMHO).
>
> Possibly, but it has been three years since Windows 95. DOS is
> basically
> considered a dead platform, and should only be used for simple
> programs...
> Even Quake II and most other major games are now written for DirectX,
> so
> most major applications are no longer written in DOS.
>
> Furthermore, any simple DOS apps for calculators (level editor,
> calculator
> transfer program, etc) should be 80x86 compatible, since these
> utilities
> don't need the power of a 32-bit c compiler, and not everyone has a
> 386 or
> above.
>
> Integrated Development Environments are usually more advanced and
> should be
> written for Win32 platforms.
>
> -Matt
> http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86

My palmtop computer (HP 200LX) has a Hornet 80x86 (186) processor in
it.  It runs at a speedy 7.91 megahertz.  Anyway, I have trouble finding
compatible programs, not because of the processor, but because of the
screen (80x25 text--or less, or 320x200x4 shade CGA, or 640x200x2 color
EGA).  I use it to write most of my ASM code (for my shell at this
time).  It out-performs the TI-92 in every way and has UNLIMITED memory,
since I can add flash cards (like the HP-48).  I still use my TI-86 a
lot, though.  My palmtop was not designed with gaming in mind!  (BTW:  I
have Derive, which is a great symbolic math program with 2D and 3D
capabilities!)

-Jeremy

Follow-Ups: References: