A86: Learn ASM? Check these out!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Learn ASM? Check these out!

I've recently uploaded my first two games to ticalc.org.  Check them out in
the 86 assembly source section:

Tic-Tac-Toe v1.0
Space Invaders v1.0

Both are heavily commented:  every line has a comment!  For everyone
wanting to learn asm, these are a very good place to start!  Grab a copy of
Assembly Studio 86, TI86EMU, and these programs!  Them read them,
experiment with them, and write your own awsome game!

The only way to learn asm is to start programming yourself!  You can't
expect some tutorial to magically place the information in your head.  All
the reading of code in the world won't make you know it.  Write a hello
world program.  Understand exactly how it works.  Then write a simple text
program.  Then do whatever you want.  You have to write code yourself to
learn how to program.  No tutorial or FAQ can teach you that.  It's up to you!

Here's a good exercise:  find a game with little or no comments (Patrick
Davidson's games are excellent for this) and comment every single line!  If
you don't know what it does, figure it out!  This is almost as good as
writing your own code.

Another:  while writting, comment every line in your source.  It forces you
to think about what you are doing, and makes it much easier to debug.  It's
hard to figure out what those 50 lines did when you haven't seen it in 2
weeks.  Plus, you can figure out if the instruction is actually doing what
you want it to do.

// David Phillips
// mailto:electrum@tfs.net
// AIM: electrum32