A86: Gameboy Specs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Gameboy Specs

>> And I think Gameboys have a much larger audience.
>
>Yes, but I'd bet any games they make for the TI's would
>cover a much larger percentage of the audience.  Maybe
>enough to exceed the Gameboy audience.  I don't know
>a lot of people who own EVERY Gameboy game, but I
>know a lot of people who go through every TI game.
>
>Gameboys are significantly smaller than TI's (the
>pocket ones anyway).  And don't they use the MHz
>Z80?  Bigger and better HAHA.

First of all THE GAMEBOY IS BETTER!! Why argue? We all know TI calculators
are fun because the games
are free and they are MORE EASILY programmable, plus we can use them in
school. But the gameboy is better.

Although the hardware on the TI may be slighty faster, I will explain how it
is better

Hardware specs:

    CPU:  8-bit Z80 work-alike at 4.194304MHz
    (Sure its slower, but hardware supported grayscale and massive ROM
memory make up for differences)

    RAM:  8kB internal
    (Plenty considering you have all the ROM to work with)

    ROM:  256kBit, 512kBit, 1MBit, 2MBit and 4MBit cartridges are known
          (32kB, 64kB, 128kB, 256kB and 512kB). Probably, there are 16kB
          cartridges as well.
  (With all this ROM, games like Daedulus can burn multiplication tables can
be burned on the ROM itself.
   Plus other look-up tables, compressed images, etc etc)

    VRAM: 8kB internal
    (Sounds like faster updating to video)

    Sound: 4 channels each of which can be mapped either to the left
           or to the right or to both speakers
    (Daedulus with hardware supported sound!)

    Video:
      Display: Reflective LCD 160x144 dots
      Colors:  4 shades of gray
      Sprites: 40 sprites of either 8x8 or 8x16 [switchable]
    (The LCD looks nicer, it has a higher LCD refresh rate. Plus it would be
faster on Daedulus because you
     wouldnt need to use the interrupts to create grayscale, it is supported
by hardware.. (I am right, right?)....)

    Communications: Serial port
      Up to 4 Gameboys can be connected together using these ports

    Power: 6 Volts, 0.7 Watts
      4 AA Batteries             - 35 hours
                       OR
      Rechargable battery (NAKI) - 12 hours

   (The Z80 is a 5V processor, thus you need at least 4 AA)