Re: A86: Where's the RAM Table?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Where's the RAM Table?

At 09:21 PM 1/14/98 -0600, you wrote:

>I was flipping through the ti info about variables on their asm page.
Using my
>memory viewer I flipped to RAM page 1 at a few bytes after $8000 . I saw some
>program entries (like ti described them) $12 (for program) followed my length
>of name followed by name. I then used my memedit to change the $12 to $0C (I
>wanted to make it a string). But It didn't work, it just changed back to a
$12
>. What's up with that? I'm just starting out asm programming and I heard
>something about a RAM table ..? Any way, if you know why this isn't working,
>please reply.
>--
Well, it's more complicated than that. Actually, I didn't know there was
variable stuff on page 1. The VAT (Variable Access Table) starts at the end
of RAM page 7, and builds down. It tells where the variables are, their
names, etc. The stuff on page 0 and 1 is mostly OS data and other system
stuff. What you're seeing might be name of the currently running program or
something.

Anyway, where the program data is, there is also a length and a type byte
(type of program var) so you might not just be able to change the VAT entry
to change it to a string...Oops, I was wrong, I just tried it, it works.

--Joshua

Oh yeah, I wasn't sure if there was any documentation for the VAT, so I
just wrote a doc file, here it is.
Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: application/msword; charset="us-ascii"

Follow-Ups: References: