Re: A86: Shell Name

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Shell Name

TurboSoft wrote:

> << It will look a lot like Rascall.  A friend of mine suggested that I
>
>  create pull-down menus, and I have considered it.  The original
> design
>  specs indicated that it would have multiple interfaces, like Usgard.
> It
>  will have the standard grouped program menu, a Filer (file manager
>  util), minimal help function, and an easy-to-use setup feature with
>  everything in a convenient menu so you don't have to memorize what
> keys
>  do what (ie: p = password, etc.).  This shell will eventually emulate
>
>  the TI-85 (like the other two ASM shells), and possibly the 82 and
> 83.
>  It will show both BASIC and ASM programs in its menu and have
> optional
>  program writeback.  I was also considering icons that would be
> displayed
>  in the description bar.  Any ideas? >>
>
> How about "pull up" menus?  something that would look like the 85 menu
> system
> and would display a menu above what you clicked on (using the F1-F5
> buttons).
> Like the Win 95 start menu, and if anyone remembers, the Atlantis
> shell for
> the 86 a long time ago.  Also, as for the other menu spaces, have a
> symbol or
> something that would tell whether certain options were on or off
> (interrupt,
> prog writeback, password protection etc).

I'll look into it.  I was already planning on putting in indicators to
show such things (and others--memory protection, anti-crash, etc.).

> If you do that, l think that it would be cool to have things like
> options,
> help, setup and things like that.  And a way to open and edit
> documents
> (string files).

I hadn't considered 'documents'.  Typing on the 86 is not very easy,
though.  You might just be better off using a notepad!

> As for a Filer or file manager, try to aim to have programs, strings,
> lists
> and stuff in their own directory named for what they are.

You will be able to select what type of variables to look at (ie:
string, program, picture, etc.).  I may even add a filter to show just
certain types of variables (ie: ZShell, Usgard, etc.).  An integrated
picture viewer was also planned, and possibly a memory viewer.

> What do you mean by icons, and the descripton bar?  If you use icons
> would that mean that we have a cursor-mouse here too?

[X] ZTetris 3.0                         U
Icon  Name                 Program Type

No cursor necessary (nor will one be implemented).  The icon would
simply be a picture-based description of the program.  I may use icons
to represent prog type and options.

-Jeremy