Re: A86: not tooooo odd

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: not tooooo odd

>At 20:51 1998-02-15 -0500, you wrote:
>> They also may want to slow down the release of emulators. If they can
delay
>>having
>>emulators being created then the TI assembly programmers will buy the
>>calculators
>>instead of using the emulators.
>
>Huh? Why would you need to know how the ROM works when writing
>an emulator?

I guess some of my suggestions were far fetched, but I believe its a
combination of many factors. And many companies motives are very far
fetched...

You just got to use your imagination:
If you could write a program exploiting all ROM calls, then it would be a
great program to use to test out an emulator. If you write an emulator, then
another program uses an undocumented rom call that doesnt work with the
emulator (maybe some hardware trick the emulator author did not think of),
then you have to make yet another revision of it to support that program.
Knowing the calculator real well (rom calls and all) would let someone write
a better emulator and test it better, too. Maybe TI doesnt want people
making emulators, especially good emulators. I dont know why, I am sure they
have there reasons. I am coming up with some suggestions for why TI might
not want to release every crook and cranny of there calculators internal
workings.

They may be far-fetched, but ask TI - I bet there answer is also far fetched
;)

-Matt Johnson
matt2000@gte.net

http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86/