Re: A86: idea for symbolic maipulation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: idea for symbolic maipulation

I've done some work in faking symbolic manipulation in TI-Basic.
Nothing real complicated, but any equation can be typed in, evaluated at
several points, and then calculate a regression equation.  Unfortunately
the 85/86 can only calculate up to fourth order regression equations.
To be able to interpret sin, cos, and any fractional exponents gets much
more difficult. I have programs though that can calculate simple
derivatives, indefinite integrals, and do stuff like (x+1)(x^2 +x-7) +
x^2 and display it in simplified form.
>I've started with such a program to some degree, although I'm doing
>the coding first in a highlevel language on the PC (easier to get
>the algorithms correct).

Which highlevel language?  I have some documented source code on this
for
VB. (5 I think)

If your doing this in VB or Pascal, can I help?

>>and i think this should work in the background like an add-on for the
8=
6

>Not necessary. I intended to make it very similiar to the TI-92, and
>then you don't have to be in the default TI-OS very often.

Have you seen Maple and Mathmatica?  In some ways the TI-92 is like
Mathmatica in that it has the pretty print stuff.  Since the 86 is
limite=
in memory it would seem to be better to have the output more like
Maple's=
,
mostly plain text.  Wouldn't it take less memory to display it the same
w=
ay
as you would type it in?

It would seem like you would have your programs interface like the home
screen, either by an interupt or just making it look that way.  Then
when
the user types something in it would be stored as an equation type of
variable if just typed in or it could be passed as an equation type of
variable into a function if the user types in something like
diff(x^2,x)
Then all the sybolic programs would just interpret the equation
variable.

Eli Allen
eallen@bcpl.net

>--