A86: Re: Bit off subject

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Bit off subject

The game Phoenix is a shooter game for the TI-92 and it was recently ported
to the TI-89.  I have played the 89 version and agree that it is an awsome
game.  It's the only game I like that I've seen for the 89, except maybe
Tetris, but I have that for my 86 anyway...

First off, it would not be a "port".  A port implies that only system
dependent code is changed to make software run on a new platform.  The main
bulk of the code stays the same (at least you hope so, hehe).  The 86, as
you should know, uses the Zilog Z80 processor.  The 89 and 92 use the
Motorola 68000 processor.  As you should also know, any good game written
for either of the calcs must be written in assembly.  Phoenix is no
exception.  68k is totally different from z80.  The game would have to be
totally rewritten.

I have been talking to Patrick Davidson for the past few weeks back and
forth through email.  We have discussed this among other things.  I
originally emailed him for help with porting the Usgard version of Galaxian
to the 86 so I wouldn't have to run it with ASE.  But, alas, I suck at
porting and ASE does a better job than me.  I couldn't get it to work.  He
said he had planned on it, but his 86 was stolen.  No good at all.  If
someone wants to take up that project, even unofficially (maybe send me a
copy :), good luck.  I couldn't figure it out, but I'm sure someone can.
Probably something dumb.

The game Galaxian (as I mentioned you can play the Usgard verison 3.0 under
ASE or Rascall) is similiar to Phoenix.  Patrick said he had to cut down the
screen size of Phoenix for even the 89 version.  The 86 version is about a
quarter of the size of the original 92!  Phoenix has many, many enemies on
the screen at once.  On the 89 version, there were probably 3-4 times as
many as there ever are on Galaxian.  the display is much lower quality and
the calc is overall slower, so it really isn't possible.

Now, I admit a game like Galaxian would be very cool and I'd love to make
one a space shooter if I had the time.  Unfortunately, I already have a few
unfinished projects and not enough time.  School sucks.  I have come up with
some detailed plans for a shooter game better than anything else on the
calc, so if someone is looking for a big project, let me know and I'll write
them up.  It's all code ideas, not story or stuff like that.  Maybe that'll
be my summer project, who knows...