Re: A86: Interrupts

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Interrupts

In a message dated 12/7/98 3:20:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, yarin@acc.umu.se
writes:

> At 15:59 1998-12-07 -0400, you wrote:
>  >
>  >>Disabling the interrupts will not gain much speed, unless there's a badly
>  >>written user installed interrupt. The most common reason to disable
>  >>interrupts is probably to use the IY register and the shadow registers.
>  >>
>  >Are you sure about this? As I recall, when I checked this, the interrupt
on
>  >my TI-86 (no user-interrupts or anything installed) ate almost 1/3 of the
>  >CPU cycles. . .
>
>  Yes, I'm pretty sure about this... I would estimate the interrupt to
>  use about 1/100 or so of the CPU cycles.

Great. Now I'm confused. I've been told, in conversations about just how much
6 megahertz is, that with interrupts, you can't get "nearly as many t-states"
as when the interrupts are disabled. Yet Jimmy Mardell, Mr. Programming Guru
here, says that it doesn't take that many cycles... help! My brain's gonna
explode!