Re: A86: Batt Checker

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Batt Checker

In a message dated 12/1/98 5:14:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
nmasj@camoes.rnl.ist.utl.pt writes:

<<   Well, in my natural language (not english, as you might already
 noticed
   by my many orthografic mistakes) we don' t have the she/he and it
   distinction ('it' for 'things', right?). It's she and he only for
 everything
   and then I forget when writing in english (and talking too). >>

What is pt? I am really bad at these country initials... for those of you out
there who haven't taken Spanish/French, many other languages don't really have
an 'it' in their language. In Spanish, a calculator is 'la calculadora', and
almost anything that ends with an a is feminine. A Spanish speaker who learned
to speak English quickly might forget about 'it', and call a calculator 'she'.
I don't know what nmasj's native language is, but this is most likely what
happened. :)

Good luck with your English, nmasj!

.end