A86: Re: Help - Sprite Routines

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Help - Sprite Routines

If you asked Dux, I think he would tell you to write your own.  If you asked
me, I would say it's up to you.  I think that there is nothing wrong with
using an existing routine to write a game.  Writting a sprite routine,
especially a good one, is difficult to do.  Using someone else's to write a
game and get the hang of assembly (experience is very under-rated) can teach
you alot, so go right ahead.

For routines, check out 86 Central.  I recently updated the existing sprite
section and added a second one (though I'm too lazy to update the main page,
so no may have noticed).  It has a very good commented version of Jimmy
Mardell's clipped PutSprite, and there is a commented version of another
PutSprite as well.  I have _never_ had any trouble with either of the ASCR
routines, but have had trouble with many other sprite routines (same
problems you mentioned, drove me nuts when I started, even got yelled at by
Matt for asking about a sprite routine, hehe).

I also wrote a demo, SprMove, it's on ticalc.org in the 86 assembly source
section (maybe I should add it to 86 Central...).  That should help you out
with moving sprite, reading keys from ports, title screens, etc.  A more
advanced demo I wrote would be Outlaw, especially if you are looking info on
link routines.

--
David Phillips <electrum@tfs.net>
ICQ: 13811951