A86: Saving data as strings on the 86 & PROBLEMS COMPILING

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Saving data as strings on the 86 & PROBLEMS COMPILING

	I was wondering exactly how I would go about storing data, such
as high scores and initials or names on the 86.  I was previously
directed to look at the Z-Tetris source (Quit routine) for saving
strings.  I did so and was utterly confused!  I then read over Matt
Johnson & company's ASM86 FAQ.  I found out how to create strings,
however it wasn't really made clear how to store data to them.  I am not
even sure if I want a seperate string outside of the program to store my
score data.  I then looked over the ztetris source again and I realized
that the string of data was being stored with in the program.  That seems
spiffy and compact, but if you rename the program the data won't get
found. I.E.: transfer ztet to your calc, do it again but this time rename
it to something else, run the second copy and save a high score, exit and
reload the game, your high score is gone because i guess that it could't
find the string.
	Anyway, I think that dispite that I still want to store the data
within the program.  If I do that how exactly does it work.  Does the asm
code move to the assembly execution area from the user memory?  Is that
what happens?  And when you want to save data do you have to use rst 20h
and rst 10h to get the location of the variable in the user memory and
change it there?  This is very confusing!  Just when I get it all
together for the 85 I have to update to the 86!  In Mardell's code he
exchanges DE with HL.  Why?  Maybe knowing what the returns are might
help. HL=16 bit pointer to VAT entry <--what the hell? And BDE = Absolute
address pointer to variable data.
	I really need help!  Maybe someone could write me a sample
program that saves a number or string to an alotted string within a
sample program.  It sure would be helpful.  Moving from the 85 was easy
in some ways and hard is others.  This is "OTHERS".
	I think that I will try it again and post the source so that I
can get some direct help.  BTW: has anyone had any problems compiling
using make86p?  Sometimes it just won't output my file even though there
aren't any errors!  This really has been pissing me off because everytime
it happens I have to rename the file and recompile it!  I anyone knows
why please help me
				Thanks, -Mike

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: