Re: A86: stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: stuff

> maybe not just for one calculator, but how about if one other than
> the user of the calculator picks it up he can leave a message for
> the regular user?  the memory features would be great anyway.
> maybe if there was a way to turn on/off the link port with a pass-
> word, so that no one can get/send stuff without it.

Everyone is looking for MORE SECURITY. Password this. User-
name that. What happened to LESS? LESS MEANS MORE.
I am not worried about people screwing up my calc. Like I said
a few months ago, most of the people who play games on my
calc panic and think they "did something" when the game exits
to the shell. And those who are smart enough to work it know
what not to do. What is all the worrying about? Frankly, I was
a little disappointed with ASE 1.3. Don't get me wrong. It's a
great program and was programmed very well by one of the TI
world's best programmers. But I am still using 0.9 because it
doesn't have all of the almost-useless features. ASE 1.3 is
almost twice as large and it's more complicated to use. All I
want is a neat (and ASE is the neatest available) display of
all of the programs I have, mainly because it's impossible to
find 98k of programs on a 6 character 5-entry display. I want
to run programs without typing asm() all the time. ASE 1.3
has those cool directories, but, with an 8-character 16 entry
display, I don't need much more separation/organization. I
don't need a security program that can be deactivated by
removing a battery and I sure as hell don't want one that
can't. (Several people have inadvertantly activated those
and I don't ever remember the passwords because I don't
use them, so I remove a battery.) Program deletion from
the shell is dangerous and an unnecessary waste of
memory. I forget some of the other features of ASE 1.3,
but that's not the point. Something I miss (although it's
99% impossible with the current ASE setup) is writeback.

This is all said IMHO.