Re: A86: TI/HP speed

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: TI/HP speed

Eric Esterle writes:

>  At 07:46 PM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>  >hmm. this makes me wonder. do the hp calculators compile thier programs
>  >to make them fast. They run much like ti asm games.
>  >Russ Hanson
>  >

>  This is way off topic, but I thought the HP's ran slower than TI's.  My
>  teacher keeps having to convince me not to get an HP because he says there
>  old technology and they run slower.

HPs support Asm just like the 86 does (I think).  They run faster in many
ways, though because they don't discriminate between different variable
types.  The reason your teacher doesn't want you to get one is this:  She
says it's old technology because it uses RPN (reverse polish notation), which
in actuality is faster than normal (the way TI's do it), but MUCH more
confusing.  (e.g., to do a simple addition of 2+5, you would type "2 [enter]
5 [+]", and to do sqrt(5sin(30)+3) you would type "30 [sin] [enter - i think]
5 [x] 3 [+] [sqrt]", which, once you get the hang of it, is faster.  I've
been wanting an HP for a while for that reason)  RPN *IS* old, but the
technology it uses isn't old....  (IR transmitter, RAM expander on 48gx)  She
just doesn't want to teach how to use the HP (probably doesn't know how
herself...)

~Steve