Re: A86: Please read this!!! New shell!!! I need help!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DEATH wrote:

> Snoops010@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 97-09-06 05:54:18 EDT, you write:
> >
> > > Dan Eble wrote:
> > >  > > -TASKS TRAY (works with multitasking)
> > >  > > -MULTITASKING
> > >  >
> > >  > I don't want to get into an argument over this. (Well, maybe I
> do.)
> > >  > Multitasking on the TI-86 is not that useful.  How often do you
> need
> > >  > to FTP a file, spool a print job, and read your email
> concurrently on
> > >  > your calculator?
> > >  <Snip>
> > >  >
> > >  > > -TI-OS COMMAND LINE
> > >  >
> > >  > That's a cute idea.  I have a better idea, though.  How about
> making the
> > >  > shell so easy to activate that you can bounce out and back in
> with just
> > >  > one or two key strokes?  That would be more efficient and
> elegant.
> > >
> > >  I like Jimmy Merdell's idea of making multitasking just a way of
> pausing
> > >  one process and starting another.  I agree that it would be silly
> with
> > >  the amount of processor speed we have to try and get them to run
> > >  simultaneously, but I think that the ability to pause and switch
> > >  (especially to the TI-OS Command line) would be useful.
> > >
> > >  Stan
> > >

> > I must agree with Dan.  I mean, what's the point??!!  Even if you
> pause the
> > program for so-called multitasking, it wouldn't really be
> multitasking.  The
> > other programs wouldn't be running, they'd just be paused!  So you
> couldn't
> > benefit from 'multitasking'
>
> there can be benefits from it, but only if the programs are
> worthwhile,
> like if they had a clipboard to get data from one prog to another
> (that
> is only if it would be worth it to have a word processor, etc. on the
> calc)

   the whole mutltitasking idea should just be ditched since it is
entirely misleading and close to impossible with the speed.the taskbar
shouldnt even be bothered with becuase the screen is already extremely
small as it is.Both of these ideas are good but look at the
memory/speed/disk/everything hog that windows 95 is besides this is for
a calculator with a slower processor and less instructions than even a
286 (probably less). The only workable idea with the slow processor
speed i can think of is a universal 'Teacher Key' that would work in all
programs ran but if and only if it wouldnt slow down the programs run.
It should be an option u can turn on and off at will. example flow
chart:

|----------------------|
|Run 1 line of program|
|----------------------|

|--------------|                    |----------------------|
|check for key | <yes> -----|go into teacher mode |
|--------------|                    |----------------------|

    <no>

|------------|
|check again|
|------------|

sorry i dont know much asm so i cant give u the code

Also the teacher key should be 2 keys if possible and the key(s) should
be changeable.  another idea might to make a program that allows u to
link ur calculator to the computer then ur computer to the internet and
have a chat feature and prog sharing feature.  This is not my idea
though i saw somebody do it on a small scale network (RJ-45? or 11 the
big phone jack) at a science fair.  To do this though you'd need a calc
program and a computer program. i can write the computer program version
i think.  The thing about chatting is that in one of the programs would
have to hav a name or id to identify itself, like a nickname so u can
'whisper' to each other and pick who gets what program. email me
personally if u want some clearer info. sorry i have bad writing skills

Signed by,
      Patrick Butler <butler2@erols.com>

Follow-Ups: References: