A86: Re: A86 : Debugger (was Protocol additions)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 Steve86Asm@aol.com wrote:

> That makes absolutely no sense.  How would a debugger know if the program is
> trying to execute code that will screw up the calc?  And how would it keep
> track of the pushes/pops, and the calc would have to run the asm program THRU
> the debugger, using it as a shell/loader/whatever (not sure which it would

That's the idea!

> be?) and that would require it to be stored at _asm_exec_ram...  It would

Not necessarily.  It could be relocated elseware (carefully).

> also somewhat requre multitasking...  because the debugger would have to look
> at each command before it runs it.  Actually, it COULD check the push/pops

It would not require multitasking.  And you're absolutely right, the
debugger would read and emulate the instructions in the program.

On a related note, does anyone know an easy way to get the current SP?
The best idea I have right now is to write a value into a known address
somewhere below the stack, then start pushing a different value in a
counting loop, checking to see when the original value is overwritten.

--------
Dan Eble (mailto:eble@cis.ohio-state.edu)
         (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~eble)