Re: A86: Typing in letters

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Typing in letters

At 12:14 AM 10/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Brian wrote:
>>
>>  Is there an easier way to detect a person pressing a any letter on
>> the the calc and then displaying that letter rather than going through
>> and checking for every letter like so
>
>Yes, by using CPIR:

Yeah, but comparing a to 26 values can be kind of slow. I like to use
tables. (i.e. just use the key_code as an offset into the table) It's
faster, and it doesn't take up much more space. When I was writing
JMemView, I was using almost all of the keys, and I found it took a
noticeable amount of time to do all those compares. Here's code for that
way...

   call GET_KEY
   ld hl,(char_table)
   ld c,a
   ld b,0
   add hl,bc
   ld a,(hl)

char_table:
   .db "     "
   .db "     "
   .db "XTOJE"
   .db "   WS"
   .db "NID  "
   .db "ZVRMH"
   .db "C  YU"
   .db "QLGB "
   .db "   PK"
   .db "FA"

note, this is NOT a complete routine, just a code fragment... And I'm not
sure the char_table is exactly right.

--Joshua