Re: A86: Two questions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Two questions

>2. What's with this C++ compiler demo program? (basic program that
displays
>a bunch of PICs) Is it just some kind of a joke, or what?
>
>--Joshua

Yeah, I've been wondering about that one too.  It sure as hell doesn't
look like it's written in ASM (I mean, projected size of 50k, and just
plain looking hard to write in ASM).  I'm guessing that this MUST be a
joke.

On the topic of "compilers", I've always wondered why no one has ever
really thought of this approach (AFIK) to writing a "real" ASM compiler
for the 86.

Remember the old ASM compiler on the 85?  You had to type in all those
memory addresses backwards and all that.  Why doesn't someone make a
program that converts from "normal" ASM to what AsmComp( would
recognize.  I realize making a full fledged parsing engine in ASM is
rather difficult, but obviously a helluva lot easier to do than writing
a FULL FLEDGED compiler (I had a conversation/argument with someone on
IRC about this, and his idea was to have an editor, and you'd have to
select keywords via a menu, etc.  The "compiled" programs would still
have to be run via an engine).

Well, just an idea :)