Re: A86: Re: Great... An 86 Emulator and no decent ROM dump pro

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Great... An 86 Emulator and no decent ROM dump program

>From listown@towerguard.unix.edu.sollentuna.se Sun Dec 21 14:48:12 1997
>Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:53:38 -0600
>From: Trey Jazz <joemama@minot.com>
>To: assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: A86: Re: Great... An 86 Emulator and no decent ROM dump
>        program
>Sender: owner-assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org
>

>> But as for ROM dumps hindering TI's ability to produce emulators...
I'd
>> have to say you're wrong there.  If you ask me, distributing ROM
dumps
>> doesn't stop TI from charging money for an emulator, it's people
making
>> *FREE* emulators that hurt them.  I mean, why buy an emulator when
you
>> can just get some free one?
>
>first of all emulators wont hurt their calculator sales. lets face it
>the primary reason most ppl buy calculators is for skewl and u rnt
gonna
>bring ur desktop or even laptop to class just to run an emulator of a
>calculator. second they arent very good at emulating programs anyway
>because a) the programs run way too fast on most computers and b) the
>control is bad for games . the only emulators worth making really are
>desktop computer emulators that run on the same input as the originals
>and maybe some halfway decent emulators that can use control pads

Well, that was sort of my point as to why the ROMs should be available.

But that also wasn't exactly what I was saying...

That guy was contending that distributing ROMs would hurt TI's ability
to make emulators that cost money, and I was asking why anyone would pay
for TI's emulators rather than just get a free one.