Re: A86: Re: Great... An 86 Emulator and no decent ROM dump program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Great... An 86 Emulator and no decent ROM dump program

doublegate@MindSpring.Com

>    Amen!  Lord knows I'm having trouble getting the ROMs off my 86...  It's
>about time someone puts an end to all this so-called "illegal" calc ROM dump
>myth.

The deal with the "so-called illegal calc ROM dump" is that TI has said
in the past that it doesn't want it's ROM images made available over the
Internet.  This ends up being a hassle for everyone who either wants to
run an emulator or just wants to look at the ROM for hidden secrets, but
if that's what TI wants, it needs to be respected.  One reason they may
not want the images distributed is that they have a TI-81 emulator for
sale, and they may have other ones being worked on.  If the ROM images
are freely available, then they won't be able to make a profit on their
own emulator.  There have been successful dumps of the 86 ROM, and maybe
those who have done it can get together to produce a FAQ for everyone
else.

BTW, if you've been following this list, you would have seen that a copy
of the ROM was posted and then taken down earlier this week.

Dennis

Maintainer of the TI-8x Emulation Project:
http://members.aol.com/smiley0242