A86: Where to start

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Where to start

    Well, I bought my 86 10 days ago, and my first game should be ready
in a few days (I'm taking off for the 3 day weekend, so maybe not until
after then), but anyway I encourage anyone/everyone to start learning
ASM86.  It's not very difficult at all.

For all the people asking "WHERE DO I START?!?":

1) look at other peoples source code...  I looked at the source for
Kollums, and looked at every line, and read every comment.  by the time
I read through it I had a basic idea of z80 ASM.  Then I looked at the
ZTetris source, which was not commented, and i figured out what he was
doing.
2) look at Z80HREF.TXT,  I don't know who wrote it, but I found it at
ticalc.org.  Well anyway it gives a list of all the instructions you can
use in z80 ASM.
3) experiment, experiment, experiment
4) have fun, if you don't have fun doing it, then don't
5) make some BAD ASS Games!!!!!!!

With less than 2 weeks experience, I almost have an Othello type game
called ORBIX done, It's not the best game out there, not even second
best, ok it could be the worst, but i got a LOT of experience out of
it.  I'm ready to move on to a better game, so I will as soon as this
one is done.

The point of this WHOLE message is:  If you want to learn ASM86, do it.
Don't complain about not knowing where to start, just look at source,
ask questions, fool around until something works.. The rest will come in
time.

Trent Lillehaugen
Computer Engineering Major
California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo
<tllilleh@polymail.calpoly.edu>