Re: A85: Dumb question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Dumb question

In a message dated 3/10/99 4:34:22 PM MST, mpearce@bbnow.net writes:

> Just wondering, how many 8X8 sprite per second?  I wrote my own routine that
>  also used rotating a couple of years ago, but the worst case performance
was
>  similar to PutSprite so i never released the source.  I assume that you are
>  quoting the best case performance (when the sprite is on a border
boundry)??

Well, I *think* I was quoting a worst case performance, to the best of my
knowledge (I'll have to test it again sometime).  Basically what I did was
display the sprite 65535 times at (0,0), or the upper left corner.  At the
time I had completed the sprite routine, it didn't have a seperate aligned-
sprite routine (nor does it have one now...yet).  Also, this is where each
sprite byte had to be rotated the most (8 times) (each sprite byte could've
definately been not rotated at all, but that's not how the routine worked).
Anyway, I tested to see how fast it displayed all 65535, and I clocked it at
just under 30 seconds, which comes to approximately 2200 sprites/second.
Jimmy advertised his PutSprite routine at his ZShell/Usgard school to be 674
sprites/second (just for reference, NASR_WARP was clocked at 300 or 400
sprites/second) (Guess I should mention these are 8x8 regular sprites).  So
it's about 3 times faster.  I'd like to see your sprite routine source...and
maybe you can look at mine to see just how it works (it's fully commented) at
Macross' homepage.

I'm not saying mine is the absolute fastest, of course!  I have gotten an
email from Jimmy boasting an engine he was working on that would do ultra fast
scrolling and sprite putting...he claimed the sprite routine could display
3000 sprites/second!  I'm not sure how far he is on working on this, or even
if he is still working on it...

JL