Re: A85: Pinball

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Pinball

Humberto--

I'd love to help you with pinball.  I don't have much coding skill
either on the PC or in ASM, but if you'd help me by creating some tools,
I could create boards, and I can always give you ideas on features and
such.  I can do graphics too.

On boards:

What about a grid, sort of like SQRXZ levels, maybe 8x8 pixels or
something.

Each object would have a certain 7-bit code.  Partial list of parts:

Left flipper   ; all left flippers fire from one button, all
Right flipper  ; right ones from another
Bumpers        ; 8 different directions, 3 different point values
Roll-overs     ; Small circles which add points when rolled over
Catchers       ; catch the ball and holds it for a second
               ; and adds points
Tubes          ; several directions.. see below

Tubes:

North/south, east/west tubes, plus 4 right angle tubes and a cross piece
(north south east and west)

The LSB (least significant bit) tells whether to draw the object or not
(flippers are always drawn).  See below for why.

Finally, a backdrop can be drawn.  Nothing on the backdrop affects what
happens to the pinball; however, one could draw all the bumpers
invisible and then put custom images on the backdrop.  For example if
you wanted your tubes to look like a road, just draw those roads, and
place invisible tubes over them.  That way it appears to the player that
the pinball is travelling on a road.

Another necessary feature:  tilt.  The header of the pinball board could
hold the following information:

Board name
Creator name
Tilt tolerance (how many times tilt can be pressed in 2 seconds before a
Tilt error occurs [or tilt simply stops working])

There outta be four tilt controls, one for each cardinal direction.
Perhaps 8,6,4, and 2 would make good tilt buttons.

Write me a personal email, Humberto, if you want my help.  Anyone else:
send comments to the list =)

--Matt Cooper / mnemonicdevice@hotmail.com