A85: Re: Programming help

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Re: Programming help

>You might need to be a little more specific about what sprites you
>want
>people to draw for you.  ;-)

I was wondering how much guidance might be needed, so I tried to leave it
broad at first.  If I could be really desriptive I wouldn't be asking in
the first place for help, but I will do my best.  I should first say that
the game might be considered a cross between Donkey Kong and Bomberman,
if such can be imagined.  Essentially you and an opponent dodge bombs
that randomly appear on multiple horizontal levels (four, perhaps five in
a TI-89 port), going up and down between floors.  You can have anywhere
from two to all four floors occupied by one bomb each, every bomb
detonating independently of the others.  With four bombs, it is obviously
necessary to constantly change levels, and two might be considered more
appropriate for beginners.  Hopefully this will provide some direction to
anyone willing to help with either the graphics or artificial
intelligence.  This being my first program, I also have some basic
questions:

What does the programmer do when the game loops so fast that the
character is uncontrollable?  Do you just insert a meaningless,
time-consuming loop at the beginning of the game loop (or the end, or
wherever)?

How do you account for timing differences when running a link connection?
 What I mean is, since the two calculators might execute different
commads depending on what each person presses, and other factors, how can
you make sure that the send and receive routines will execute in
synchronization?  Does one wait for the other?

I have never understood the whole version number thing.  Obviously the
first working release is 1.0, but what then from there?  What is worthy
of a change of a whole number, such as going to 2.0, rather than to, say,
1.3?

I can be sure some of you are laughing right now at that last one, but I
wonder how many of us actually know.  :-)

Justin Bosch
justin-b@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]