A85: return of OS hardware

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: return of OS hardware

Hey Kaus-

I'm one of the probably many guys watching this list explode with interest,
and, if possible, would like to add my own $0.02 about this doomsday OS.

memory access:
1. the 8 megabit (264 bytes/block, 4096 blocks) chip from Amtel should
definately be used
2. the e2 should not be used. we should build our own. let's face it, it's
not    exactly brain surgery. and, by building our own system, it would
allow us to    customize it to our 0S needs.

microcontroller
3. we should have a dedicated microcontroler (something in the PIC17Cxx
series)    to (a) access the mem chip and (b) control the multiple I/O
devices we can      build into this thing
4. by having a micro, it would greatly simplify software on the calc's part
of    reading the mem chip, and would allow us to build a "modular link design"

"modular link design"
5. this system would allow us to have, as standard, an RS232 port and
regular    calc port. we could leave "expansion slots" so that a user could
plug in a    custom-made IR or RF tranciever.
6. thus, it would also make sense for someone to program a C++/VB, ect prgm
so    that a computer could download files from the expander and visa-versa.
7. I believe it would also be a good idea to standerdize our communication
protocal, so that calc's with e2 could "shake hands" with other calcs,
computers, ect.

D/A and A/D
8. this part seems unessesary. for all of those who want to play music on
their    calc, get a walkman.

whew! So guys, tell me what you think. I'm not just standing on a soapbox
here. I could _significantly_ contribute to all the points mentioned here.

Nick Palko
WILLIAMPALKO@worldnet.att.net