Re: A85: OS hardware

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: OS hardware

>Can you tell me the amount that the "blocks" of memory are divided into on the
>e2?

sure thing...

The 8-megabit (I figure you have to go all-out) serial data flash from Amtel
(product number AT45D081) divides the 8,650,752 bit of memory into 4096
pages of 264 bytes each.

I got this info from Amtel's web site (http://www.atmel.com/atmel/products/
prod108.htm) in .pdf format. The data sheet, which is about 16 pages long,
has detailed descriptions of their opcodes used for reading/writting the chip.

I also had another question about this project. Are you guys building the e2
to mel's specs, or are you taking some creative liberties? From my
understanding, having a dedicated microcontroller to serve as a buffer
between the calc and the mem chip, IR/RF tranceivers, sound port ect., would
   a. simplify interface software on the shell's part
   b. and allow for a more modular design, being that said calc hacker could
decide if he wanted an IR or RF link or so on, so that the system could
ultimately be upgraded/customized.

And, as long as we're blazeing new trails, we should deciede on a data
transfer protocal. This would provide a standard that other calcs had to
follow if they wanted to use our hardware, which, in my opinion, is the
largest selling point of this shell.

later
Nick Palko