Re: A85: Saving the 85

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Saving the 85

Well, then, quite a response.  i was hoping for it.

I have a few ideas and comments to add to my previosuly stated ones:

We do agree on the fact that the E2 is a necessary component right?
        We will need some protocol specs on that.  The kernal will be
        based around this pretty much, soo.....
Also, for the link port communications, does anyone know if the E2
        has one on the device for extra communications???  if not,
        maybe we could presuade someone of the hardware guys to put
        in a port like a mem module, similar to the way Grant's ide is
        hooked up.
If we can get some type of extra link to be usable, we could implement
        sometype of networking support, or direct calc-to-calc/computer
        support.  This may seem a bit out there, but it doesnt have to be
        part of the origiinal kernal, it can be just an addon TSR we could
        do later.
For the E2 support, this opens up whole avenues of things to support
        that make programming for the thing a blast and a breeze.
The programs are strored on the E2, then when the kernal wants to
        run them, it loads them into RAM, relocates them, and executes.
        he program can load whatever libraries, overlays, or data files it
        needs from the E2 into RAM as it needs them, and save games
        and stuff to the E2  and delete the data on RAM when its done.
        The next prog has complete control over the RAM (all 26K or so
        (after the kernal and TI-OS vars one may want on the system))
        without having to work around other pograms.
Only the actual Bootstrap loader needs to be a TI variable.  It can laod
        the rest of the OS at runtime from the E2
The Kernal can support Allocation and Deallocation of RAM by the
        running program, and if a program wants to remain resident, it
        just tells the kernal not to deallocate its space.  Easy TSRs.
Programs can easily run other programs by starting a process, and
        the OS takes care of the rest.  If we really wanted to, we could
        even do a type of preemptive multitasking, tho it would be a bit
        slow. :)
With the E2, we can have OS functions that let programs
        automatically load, relocate, and even run overlays by jsut calling
        a simple function.
On startup, the program can tell the OS which DLLs to load and link,
        and then not worry about it, and when it doesnt need one
        anymore and wants some more room, it can unlink them and get
        rid of it, and load a new one.
Since we have an entire E2 to use of os space, we can have DLLs
        premade with GCP/ZCP support, picture support, sound support,
        graphics libs, I/O libs, filemanaging libs, etc.  programming will
        be a breeze!!! :)
We dont really need any TI-OS var maniputlation functions to be built
        into the OS, but if ppl want 'em, we jsut have to release antoehr
        DLL!!
We can have an entire DLL with just the original Usgard functions and
        library functions that can be autoloaded when we want to run
        Usgard progs.  We can even have the ZShell/Usgard support be
        only extra DLLs that dont take up RAM unless we are actually
        running a ZShell/Usgard program!
The relocation tables, which may need to be a bit more complicated
        thatn the Usgard ones, wont matter, because they only will be
        loaded into RAM by the OS when it initally relocates a program
        or overlay or DLL and then removed.
Heck!  we can even have an emergency save calculator state TSR
        taht, at the touch of a key, copies everything to the E2, including
        all RAM and registers.  Unplug the E2 and the teacher can let you
        use it for tests and such.  When your done, you plug back in the
        E2, run the emregency restore calculator state program, and ta
        da!  your calc was EXACTLY where you left off, down to screen
        contents and stack position.  You can have been in the middle of
        a jump in one of the games we hope will come about on this
        thing, and after restorring, you better watch where you are
        landing!!
One of the major things about this will be that we can have online
        Word processors, spreadsheets, databases, graphing
        programs, etc, very easily.  and to encourage this type of
        programming, what we really need as soon as possible is a C
        compiler for it.  Many ppl know C, few know asm..  this will
        broaden the developer circle to more ppl and get them interested
        in it.  We will have enough room, so we just need someone to
        port a compiler.  That could be difficult, but someone can do it.
And, one final note for now:  I wish we could get the bootstrap loader
        to be in initial ROM, so that the OS could start automaticaly on
        calculator turn on/reset, but as definition of ROM denies this, i
        think we are looking at another CUSTM hack.  This wll load the
        rest of the OS and whatever shell the person wants to use (how
        soon is someone availble to prot win95?=)

That about sums up what i thought of to say for now.
Any questions/comments/additions?

Note that some of you responders said that youdidnt know any asm or any
programming.  Thats ok.  You can still help with alot of the Design and
Testing stages.  Besides, usually its best if there is a nonprogrammer to
test a program in any group, because the programmers know the limitations
cause heck, they programmed them, but the tester knows no limits.  Whatever
you guys wnat to do.  I, anyway, would be glad of any help we can get, cause
hell, with somthing this big, were going to need all the help we can get!!!

Jonathan Kaus
kaus@cybrzn.com