Re: A85: expander idea (clock)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: expander idea (clock)

><< The 48 has an rtc on board.,..  it never turns off (real time clock) >>
>I know you are on the Hardware list Grant, would it be plausible to attach
one
>of these to an 85?

This seems to be what grant is planning for the EIII (which we eagerly await
details on :)

P.S. Grant comment on Lynx wasn't directed at you.. it was at all the other
people who kept insisting on writing a browser and TCP stack in less than
25k, including pictures..

P.P.S.  What's the status on the discreet component IR link?

--------
This is more like it!  Check it!  It will have a real-time clock!  keyboard!

This thing basically lets your calc use all PC/AT parts...  everything
except the momitor...  I decided that a 2.88MB disk drive was enough, and
that a 4.3GB $250 hard drive was overkill...  :)

SuperI/O III
+Plug and Play Compatible Chip
+Floppy Disk Controller
+Keyboard Controller
+Real-Time Clock
+Two Fast UARTS
+Infrared Support
+IEEE 1284 Parallel Port

This fully Plug and Play (PnP) compatible chip incorporates a Floppy Disk
Controller (FDC), a Keyboard and mouse Controller (KBC), a Real-Time Clock
(RTC), two fast full function UARTs, Infrared (IR) support, a full IEEE
1284 parallel port, three general purpose chip select signals that can be
programmed for game port control, and a separate configuration register set
for each module. It also provides support for power management (including a
WATCHDOG timer) and standard PC-AT address decoding for on-chip functions.

The Infrared (IR) interface complies with the HP-SIR and SHARP-IR
standards, and supports all four basic protocols for Consumer Remote
Control circuitry (RC-5, RC-5 extended, RECS80 and NEC).

100% compatibility with Plug and Play requirements specified in the "Plug
and Play ISA

Specification", ISA, EISA, and MicroChannel architectures

A special Plug and Play (PnP) module that includes:
        Flexible IRQs, DMAs and base addresses that meet the Plug and Play
requirements specified by Microsoft in their 1995 hardware design guide for
Windows and Plug and Play ISA Revision 1.0A
        Plug and Play ISA mode (with isolation mechanism-Wait for Key state)
        Motherboard Plug and Play mode

A Floppy Disk Controller (FDC) that provides:
        A modifiable address that is referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register
        Software compatibility with the PC8477, which contains a superset
of the floppy disk controller functions in the [micro]DP8473, the NEC
[micro]DP765A and the N82077
        13 IRQ channel options
        Four 8-bit DMA channel options
        16-byte FIFO
        Burst and non-burst modes
        A high-performance, internal, analog data separator that does not
require any external filter components
        Support for standard 5.25" and 13.5" floppy disk drives
        Automatic media sense support
        Perpendicular recording drive support
        Three-mode Floppy Disk Drive (FDD) support
        Full support for the IBM Tape Drive Register (TDR) implementation
of AT and PS/2 drive types

A Keyboard and mouse Controller (KBC) with:
        A modifiable address that is referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register, reported as a fixed address in resource data
        13 IRQ options for the keyboard controller
        13 IRQ options for the mouse controller
        An 8-bit microcontroller

Software compatibility with the 8042AH and PC87911 microcontrollers
        2 KB of custom-designed program ROM
        256 bytes of RAM for data
        Five programmable dedicated open drain I/O lines for keyboard
controller applications
        Asynchronous access to two data registers and one status register
during normal operation
        Support for both interrupt and polling
        93 instructions
        An 8-bit timer/counter
        Support for binary and BCD arithmetic
        Operation at 8 MHz, 12 MHz or 16 MHz (programmable option)
        Customizability using the PC87323VUL, which includes a RAM-based
KBC, as a development platform for keyboard controller code for the
PC87307VUL

A Real-Time Clock (RTC) that has:
        A modifiable address that is referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register
        13 IRQ options, with programmable polarity
        DS1287, MC146818 and PC87911 compatibility
        242 bytes of battery backed up CMOS RAM in two bands
        Selective lock mechanism for the RTC RAM
        Battery backed up century calendar in days, days of the week,
months and years, with automatic leap-year adjustment
        Battery backed-up time of day in seconds, minutes and hours that
allows a 12 or 24 hour format and adjustments for daylight savings time
        BCD or binary format for time keeping

                Power turned on when:
                The RTC reaches a pre-determined date and time
                A high to low transition occurs on the RI# input signals of
the UARTs
                A ring pulse or pulse train is detected on the RING# input
signal
                A SWITCH input signal indicates a Switch On event
                Powered turned off when:
                A SWITCH input signal indicates a Switch Off event
                A Fail-safe event occurs (power-save mode detected but the
system is hung up)
                Software turns power off

Two UARTs that provide:
        Software compatibility with the 16550A and the 16450
        A modifiable address that is referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register
        13 IRQ channel options
        Shadow register support for write-only bits
        Four 8-bit DMA options for the UART with Slow Infrared support (USI)
        An enhanced UART and Infrared (IR) interface on the USI that
supports:
                UART data rates up to 1.5 Mbaud
                HP-SIR
                ASK-IR option of SHARP-IR
                DASK-IR option of SHARP-IR
                Consumer Remote Control Circuitry
                A Plug and Play compatible external transceiver

A bidirectional parallel port that includes:
        A modifiable address that is referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register
        Software or hardware control
        13 IRQ channel options
        Four 8-bit DMA channel options
        Demand mode DMA support
        An Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) that is compatible with the new
version EPP 1.9, and is IEEE1284 compliant
        An Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) that also supports version EPP 1.7
of the Xircom specification
        Support for an Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) as mode 4 of the
Extended Capabilities Port (ECP)
        An Extended Capabilities Port (ECP) that is IEEE 1284 compliant,
including level 2
        Selection of internal pull-up or pull-down resistor for Paper End
(PE) pin
        Reduction of PCI bus utilization by supporting a demand DMA mode
mechanism and a DMA fairness mechanism
        A protection circuit that prevents damage to the parallel port when
a printer connected to it powers up or is operated at high voltages
        Output buffers that can sink and source 14 mA
        Three general purpose pins for three separate programmable chip
select signals, as follows:

Can be programmed for game port control

16 single-bit General Purpose I/O ports (GPIO):
        Modifiable addresses that are referenced by a 16-bit programmable
register
        Programmable direction for each signal (input or output) with
configuration lock
        Programmable drive type for each output pin (open-drain or
push-pull) with configuration lock
        Programmable option for internal pull-up resistor on each input pin
with configuration lock
        A back-drive protection circuit
        An X-bus data buffer that connects the 8-bit X data bus to the ISA
data bus

Clock source options:
        Source is a 32.768 kHz crystal-an internal frequency multiplier
generates all the required internal frequencies
        Source may be either a 48 MHz or 24 MHz clock input signal
        Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) support via the Chip Select 0 (CS0#)
signal that is powered by the VCCH
        Enhanced Power Management (PM), including:

                Special configuration registers for power down
                WATCHDOG timer for power-saving strategies
                Reduced current leakage from pins
                Low power CMOS technology
                Ability to shut off clocks to all modules