Re: A85: IR link idea

egillespie@juno.com
erik_gillespie_1096@gwgate.kvcc.edu

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:27:01 -0400 Jim Ruble <rublej@geocities.com>
writes:

>I hate materialism and this "oh I have to do this to be cool" crap!  I
>know that I am not the most popular guy around my school and I know
>that
>most of the other calc programmers aren't either (don't correct me if
>am wrong... you know the point I am trying to make).  But what I do
>know
>is that if you are going to go around your whole life worrying around
>your image and what other people think about you then your's is a life
>not worth living.  I would rather have a fun, enjoyable life and have
>everyone think of me as a total geek than trying to keep a 'cool' self
>image.  I know that many others on this list would say the same thing,
>too (in fact there was a discussion on this about a year back (not
>sure
>if it was this list though, could have been the asm 92 list)).

In a sense I believe this, but with a little rewording.  I think we all
worry about our image but we really don't have to.  Our image will find
us.  The popular people aren't popular, they are just part of the
majority of people who share a common image within an area.  Just as I
believe the people on this list will seem popular to a person who wants
to be on the list because they feel they share our common interest, but
that portion of their image does not appear as clear as other parts of
their image so they in turn hang out with a bunch of people who also have
similar images.  I know a girl who has the greatest personality and I
find very attractive.  To me she seems very popular in this way.  I ate
lunch with her and I noticed that she eats like a guy.  She has a big
appetite, takes big bites, you name it.  I can assume she's not too
popular with the rest of the cheerleaders at lunch.

>My point: live life the way you want; not the way others want.  If you
>want to [try to] play laser tag on your calculator then more power to
>ya!

Doesn't this kind of contradict itself?  Anyway, not everyone can live
their life how they want.  Not in the United States anyway.  If you
tried, you'd probably be put in jail, sued, or many other bad things.  If
everyone lived how they wanted, we could not have a government because if
we all live how we want, every person is always right.  That's not
possible.  I know you don't believe what you just said and I know you
don't live by those words.  No one does.  No one can.  What happens if
some guy shoots another guy just because he wanted to?  That would leave
you to be a figure similar to that guy who told that girl (Amy Fisher?)
to shoot his wife because you practically told this man to shoot that
person.  See how easy it is to twist someone's words and make that person
look bad or wrong?  Now I'm doing exactly what you did.  I posted
something to the entire list that only a few eyes needed to see.  And
even then those eyes didn't need to read the message because it wasn't
thought out completely and probably didn't have the intended effect.  It
probably just made the person feel bad about themself.  I don't want
replies to this message, whatever you type I probably already know or
don't need to know.  Of course, according to Mr. Jim's advice you should
reply because you're not supposed to do what I want, you're supposed to
do what you want.  But who's right?  Me?  Jim?  Or you?  You decide.
This isn't my original advice but I like what it says:

Don't dish it out if you can't take it yourself.

Go ahead, reply all you want but I would suggest that you mail me
personally.

>> Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as well as contructive
>> critizism, but for God's sake, use you d*mn heads!  Practacality is
>> the key to usefullness.  So why doesn't everyone get back to making
>> games?  How about that?
>
>Last time I checked laser tag was a game.  And besides, without new
>ideas (however practical or impractical they may sound) where would we
>be right now?  And besides, swearing your head off and saying how dumb
>you think something is isn't exactly what I call constructive
>critisism.

I agree here.

This message was not meant to persuade anyone to change their views on
any subject matter, it is merely me expressing my views because my
philosophy beckons me to.  Just as I criticise others, I must be open to
criticism.  I
must also encourage others to express their views whether to the list or
not, but I feel that we won't have as many arguments on this list if we
understand where each of us is coming from.  Most of the people who have
been on this list can agree that we argue over less stupid stuff than we
did a while back. Speaking for most animals on Earth, we learn from our
mistakes.  If arguing is a mistake.  I think arguing is learning with
added criticism.  You don't need to know but that is how Aristotle
taught.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]