Re: Re: Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re: Re: A85: Shells and games

> What?! You don't even know what you're talking about.
>
> Windows 95's multitasking is no better than System 8's. Windows 95 uses
> multithreading, not pre-emptive multitasking. Apple has made a Thread
> Manager available for years now, even longer than Windows 3.1 has been out,
> but multithreading just isn't as popular on the Mac as it is in Windows.
> System 8's Finder uses multithreading, though.

Ok.. Listen...  I guess you need a lesson in different types of operating
systems, because you are obviously VERY confused.  Cooperative
multi-tasking is when a task is responsible for releasing time to other
tasks.. A badly written program can hog the CPU and lock up the machine in
this case.  A preemtive OS will interrupt (or preempt) a task and do the
switching automatically which is much better.  This is the way Windows95
switches tasks.  This is even the way the old Amigas switched tasks 10 yrs
ago.

Multithreading is when one program can multitask within itself..  For
example.. have a thread (section of a program) that monitors the serial
port, which rendering graphics..  This is really cool when you have
multiple processors..

Windows 95 does both.  Trust me.

> For the record, Windows NT (and BeOS, and Rhapsody, and AmigaDOS, etc...)
> use pre-emptive multitasking. But not Windows 95.

ARGH!  Yes it does.

> Proprietary systems will always be better than open systems. With
> proprietary systems, Apple has made it so that the hardware is always

Well.. more expensive.  BUT...

> There has never been a major overhaul of PC technology - the CPUs & busses
> have become faster, but the hardware (with the exception of PCI) is more or
> less the same.

Nonsense.. there are PCs available with only PCI slots.. Listen to what
you are saying.. the CPU and busses have gotten faster but...  THE PC IS
MODULAR!  The bus and CPU are the only things that need to be sped up!
You can add all kinds of custom chips etc on cards.. The only thing on a
PC motherboard besides the bus and chip is the PC speaker connection! (an
exaggeration) :)

> Their "archaic OS" is years beyond the capabilities of "Windows 95",
> although I've never met a PC fanatic who would confess to this.

I dont think I am a fanatic. :)  I think macs have some clever hardware..
they just need a new OS. not drastically new.. just enhanced.

But I digress.. Lets end this now.. Use whatever makes you happy.. I hope
thousands of Macs are sold and they become cheaper and Apple becomes
smarter so that we can all program TI calcs and be happy.

:)

Rob