Re: A85: starting out

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: starting out

>Assembler is by far the most difficult language to program in, short of
>trying to write in machine language.  If you just starting out, I

Not true at all.  I find programming in ASM easier than C++; I learned Z80
in about a week (most of it, at least) and it's taking me quite a bit
longer to learn C++.  ASM is easy in my opinion because there are very few
commands to memorize, you do it all yourself.  You have to think a little,
though.

>recommend learning a high level language like BASIC, Pascal or C.  There
>isn't much in the way of HLL compilers for the TI (but I think someone
>wrote a HLL complier call HAL? but someone will have to correct me on

BASIC, Pascal, and C wouldn't help him learn how to program the calculator.
 There are three pseudo-languages:

	Z-BASIC; the oldest, not very much supported anymore
	HAL; pretty new, but I haven't heard anything about it?
	USUL; newest, for Usgard only, and in my biased opinion the best.

>that).  Assembly on a Z80 is signifantly easier that Assembly on a
>80x86.  If you must start with an assembler language then start with the
>Z80 and I would suggest starting with the ZShell standard.  I'm not
>saying that it's better then other shells but it's easier to use the
>more advanced features of other shells (features like: relocation, and
>libraries) when you understand how we did things in the past.

Mmm, not necessarily.  Skip learning all that unnecessary crap.

>Someone offers a ZShell online programming course.  There is a like to
>it from TICALC.ORG.
>and BTW the old BASIC (Not QBasic or visual Basic) it about the closest
>HLL to assembler if you looking to go in that direction right away.

Jimmy Mardel's page; http://www.algonet.se/~mja/ is the BEST tutorial out
there.

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...