A85: RPG survey

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: RPG survey

OK, here's the deal:
I am thinking about making an RPG, and I want to get some input on this
idea. First of all, it will NOT be graphical. Large-scale Graphics are
too slow, and besides they get complicated with enemies and such. It
will be an all-text RPG, with the user inputting by sentence commands,
e.g. WALK EAST or CLIMB TREE. Has anyone played that old game Dungeon?
It will be kinda like that. So here is the survey:

1) Would people be interested in such a game? I expect the (single)
level to be a 64x64 grid. At each grid square the engine would give the
player info about what is at the square. The user can do things within
the square or move to a new square by saying WALK EAST or WEST or NORTH
or SOUTH. Of course, you will have to remember where you are because it
is all text.

2) Would such a game be feasible? I think I can do the programming on
the translation from sentences to commands, but there are a lot of
things I'm not taking into account.
The memory would probably ALL be taken up. That's right, ALL 28k. (well,
I'll leave 200 bytes for the TI-OS :) Since some of the squares (not
all) will have 3 or 4 sentence long prompts (That will be at least 60
bytes!), this isn't even counting the engine, or the actual map
(pointers to the strings, or maybe pointers to a lookup table). Of
course, some sentences will repeat so this will cut down. If I have to
cut corners I can always make the level smaller, which may make for a
more interesting but shorter game.

3) Has anyone programmed such a game for the PC? If so email me, your
help would be useful.

4) Would anyone make a storyline for me? (don't make one yet! just tell
me if you would make one if I decide to make the game) This would be a
VERY VERY VERY COMPLEX storyline, EVERYTHING MUST INTERACT. This will
take a LOT of time to make, do not say yes unless you are sure.

Please answer the questions, you do not have to mail them to the list,
you can just mail the answers to me. (Unless you want to mail it to the
list)

--
Terry Peng <tpeng@geocities.com>