Re: LZ: Multi-string shell aka PSOII shell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Micah/Richard Brodsky wrote:

> Here's an idea: A shell consisting of multiple strings, most of which PSOII
> style libraries.

I don't want to sound too negative, but remember the problems Usgard had as a
result of all those library strings?

> TRANSMIT: A program that would determine which strings are necessary to run a
> program and send them with TI protocol. I have no clue how big it would be,
> but it would be a good idea to have on all calculators using this system.

This is a great idea. The only problem is how are you going to access the TI
Protocol? You would have to rewrite the source code because the ROM has error
handlers that will cause the calc to crash.

> INTLIB: This is only hypothetical, and it could be done in a number of ways.
> The thing in common would be that it would handle "installable interrupts,"
> similar to the interrupt system in USGARD, but able to handle more handlers.
> It could be written in any of these ways:
>         1-Backup based. It would be transferrable only via backups, and would reside
> in a fixed spot in memory. I estimate it would be between 300 and 400 bytes.
>         2-GRAPH-MEM based: It would be a standard PSOII like library, using graph
> memory, but thereby succeptable to crashing. I estimate it would be between 50
> and 150 bytes.Too susceptible. Too many programs use the graph mem.

>         3-Self-relocating: This is a method that does not yet exist, but I've been
> toying with it, and will soon do experiments to test to see if it's possible.
> I estimate it would require between 300 and 800 bytes.Interesting... I would go with the backup idea, it is much easier to
implement.

> Other libraries, such as NASR, graphics, or mouse ones could be made later.
> The advantage of this system is that it would be universally compatible, able
> to run with UShell, CShell-NT, USGARD, OS-85, and of course ZShell, as well UShell is inferior to ZShell. ZShell is inferior to CShell. OS-85 is inferior
to all of those. The only two major contenders are CShell and Usgard, and
Usgard supports everything the multi-string shell does. If someone can
download the multi-string shell they probably have access to Usgard as well.

One of the great things about Usgard is that it will support ANY shell
interface which is written for it. I especially like Cool Shell- IMHO it is
better than the Cshell interface, and I think someone has made a CShell
clone. Most people's complaint about Usgard is that they don't know which
libs they need- clearly, TRANSMIT will address that problem. But the multi
string interface kind of offsets TRANSMIT- and the new programming interface
will be yet another heeadache for users and programmers alike.

I think you should make a TRANSMIT program for Usgard- you will probably not
be able to use the ROM, but it will be worth it.

Of course, if you could make the multi-string system SMALLER than Usgard it
might be worth implementing, provided that it has no major weaknesses.
Best of luck if you decide to go for it.

--
Terry Peng
email-	tpeng@geocities.com

Follow-Ups: References: